Sunday, March 18, 2012

Our Friend the Fence Lizard

The Fence Lizard, or Prairie Lizard, or Fence Runner. My neighborhood in Little Rock is "tore up" with these animals. They love to rustle through leaves, and see particularly fond of man-made concrete curbs where they can bask and run in and out of the weeds and leaves. I spotted this one this morning in my garden at the same time I was photographing the rabbits.

Here is another angle on the fence lizard. I have seen them run in and out of a downspout that comes off the gutters in my house. I caught this one very easily and held him awhile. When I set him gently back down, he stayed in the same spot as if he had been slightly intimidated. A good place to find out more about this creatures is at Herps of Arkansas, see http://www.herpsofarkansas.com/Lizard/SceloporusConsobrinus#Gallery



One of my favorite behaviors of this and other lizards is the "push-up." You will see them basking on a warm rock basically doing push-ups. I have read that the males do this for the same reason that male humans do: to impress girls. I have also seen hawks in our neighborhood swoop down and catch these lizards so apparently they make a nice meal. I'd say of all these animals in my yard, the fence lizard is the most prolific. Always happy to see them when I garden.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I have been searching for this information and finally found it. Thanks!

    Lock lizard

    ReplyDelete